There is no hiking without a good-quality best hiking backpacks. You can’t carry your essentials in your hand or a lousy bag if you plan to go trekking or a serious hike up the hill. You must be equipped with necessary items like food, tools, clothing, and other essentials. But most importantly, a premium backpack to store all of these items for you.
Fortunately, tech advancement has led to an evolution in designs, strength, and tenacity of backpacks. Now you will find backpacks that will keep your spine positioned, allow ventilation so that your back doesn’t suffocate, and has various zippers and compartments for your feasibility.
Almost all backpacks are waterproof so that the rain doesn’t hinder your hiking experience, and you don’t have to worry about your essentials soaking. The body-hugging straps and hip belts keep the backpacks secure and fitted to your body. But they are light in weight so that you don’t feel much pressure on your shoulders.
All these features-loaded backpacks are reasonably priced and widely available. So, if you are planning to go on a hike, go and get your backpack now!
How We Chose The Best Hiking Backpacks For Hiking Washington
There are several determinants that you must study before deciding which hiking backpack you should purchase. You cannot risk such an investment because your whole hiking experience rests on this essential item.
Take a minute and try to answer these three very important questions:
- Where will I go hiking?
- When will I go? Try to think about the seasons and months.
- For how long will the hiking last?
The answer to these questions will decide for you which hiking backpack do you need. These answers will determine the storage size. For a day trip, you wouldn’t require more than 20 liters of storage but if you plan on camping and setting up a tent, then get a backpack that offers at least 35 liters of storage.
Where you are planning to go will determine the composition and material of the backpack. If you climb a hill or camp in a thick, bushy forest, get a tenacious and durable backpack to survive the rough use. Choose a water-resistant backpack if you are anticipating rain.
The duration of the hike will help you choose both the material and the storage. More days mean that you would require larger storage and a tough bag.
Looking for additional gear guides? Please check out our buyer’s guide to the Best Hiking Boots and Best Backpacking Tents .
Our Picks For The Best Hiking Backpacks
Check out our picks for the top 10 Best Hiking Backpacks. Scroll down to read our review of each.
- MOUNTAINTOP 28L/40L Hiking Backpack
- Osprey Aether AG 60 Hiking Backpack
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Southwest 40L Hiking Backpack
- Arc’teryx Bora AR 63 Hiking Backpack
- Mystery Ranch Glacier Hiking Backpack
- Osprey Zena 85 Hiking Backpack
- Berghaus Ridgeway 65+10L Hiking Backpack
- Deuter Aircontact Lite Hiking Backpack
- Granite Gear Blaze 60L Hiking Backpack
MOUNTAINTOP 28L/40L Hiking Backpack
Are you looking for a backpack that has versatile use? Wouldn’t you want the same robust build and sophisticated look that a hiking backpack attributes in an office backpack too? If yes, then you must get your hands on this amazing MOUNTAINTOP 28L/40L Hiking Backpack. Put it on and enjoy your outdoor activities or stuff your thick college books into it; it will never lose its charm.
Now let us bedazzle you with all the space this bag has to offer; you can easily pack two regular outfits, plenty of snacks, a water bottle, various hygiene and beauty essentials, your electronic devices, and sunscreen. And all this space is in the 28-liter backpack. The 40-liter one offers so much more space for all your extra items.
Features of the MOUNTAINTOP 28L/40L Hiking Backpack-
- Adjustable Shoulder Straps
- Made from waterproof Polyester
- Its dimensions are: (LxWxH) 11.4″ x 5.1″ x 18.9″
- Mesh Shoulder Straps
- Shoulder drop of 11.4 inch
- Two side pockets to hold bottles and other items
- Three zipper pockets located at the front; ideal for keeping accessories
- Available in a wide array of colors
- Straps are highly breathable, so your back won’t get sore from a strenuous hike
- You can easily fit in a 15.6 inches laptop
- It is water-resistant, so light showers of rains wouldn’t damage your items packed inside the backpack
- Reasonably Priced
- YKK metal zippers are installed, which are highly convenient to unzip
- Not enough room for holding a lot of items
Osprey Aether AG 60 Hiking Backpack
If you are tired of the city’s busy life and want to escape to the finest corners of the world and explore the nature and depths of forests, then make sure you are prepared. This journey may lead you to a biking trip or a hiking trail across the mountains, and for that, you would require a sturdy and high-quality backpack. And you will get it from Osprey that has garnered a reputation for offering premium outdoor activities’ equipment.
Their remarkable Osprey Aether AG 60 Hiking Backpack is fashioned to survive your tough hikes and adventurous trips. With its side compression straps, your back will be relieved of heavy concentrated pressure as the weight will be divided proportionally. Say goodbye to backaches as this backpack comes with anti-gravity suspensions and a back panel.
Features of the Osprey Aether AG 60 Hiking Backpack
- Internal Hydration Reservoir Sleeve
- Sleeping Bag Compartment
- Heat Moldable Hip belt pockets
- It has an internal frame
- It is made from Nylon
- Its dimensions are: (LxWxH) Source33 x 15 x 12 inches
- It weighs 5 lbs
- There are seven external pockets and several hip belt pockets incorporated in this backpack
- It has a removable top-lid integrated, which after being removed, converts into a DayLid daypack.
- It is super comfortable
- Available in many sizes and you can purchase the size which compliments your torso length, waist, and back
- With the large J-zip, you can easily gain access to all your stuff and avoid unpacking to find a tiny item
- The hip belts with the harness keep the backpack adjusted and fitted
- It has a massive capacity of 60 liters
- Slightly heavier than the average weight of other backpacks
Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Southwest 40L Hiking Backpack
If you love hiking, you must have observed that too much weight on your shoulders can tire you quicker than you expected, and you get exhausted, reaching just halfway. So, the remarkable Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Southwest 40L Hiking Backpack is here for your rescue. This super lightweight backpack will not hinder your experience at all. You can climb mountains or jog through dense forests with minimum weight on your shoulders.
The weight belt and shoulder straps are made from mesh so that your load is held proportionally, and you wouldn’t have to experience severe backache or pinching pain in your shoulders. Aluminum stays are also attached, which are removable, but you can easily customize the load if you want to.
A south-west model was also introduced, which has a roll-top closure and taped seams that will keep your stuff protected from water if it starts to rain.
Features of the Hyperlite Mountain Gear 2400 Southwest 40L Hiking Backpack
- Hydration-compatible sleeve to carry your water bottles
- It is made from Dyneema Fabric
- It has an internal frame
- Its dimensions are: (LxWxH) Source26 x 17 x 5 inches
- It weighs 1lb or 14 oz
- It has two zippered waist belts
- There are three pockets on the exterior
- Extremely lightweight so you can easily travel with it
- With the low weight of the backpack itself, you can stuff more of your items
- To ensure that the load is stabilized and distributed correctly, the compression straps can be easily adjusted
- The Dyneema Suspension system keeps all your stuff and loads secure
- The backpack is highly comfortable
- The features are not too sophisticated or advanced
Arc’teryx Bora AR 63 Hiking Backpack
You will be amazed at your agility once you have put on the Arc’teryx Bora AR 63 Hiking Backpack. This backpack doesn’t restrict your movement like other uncomfortable and tightly wrapped around backpacks. It was designed to carry your load for you so that you can focus on enjoying your trip.
If you start sweating in the back after hiking hours and having a backpack stuck to your back, you need to purchase Arc’teryx Bora AR 63 Hiking Backpack. With its breathable and ventilated back panel, a cool breeze of air will keep your back cool. Its hip belts are rotatable so you can be mobile, and shoulder straps are adjustable; you can change the height and width.
There are zippers installed at the sides so you can access the stuff stored at the bottom. A significantly large pocket outside is perfect for keeping all your wet and dirty clothes and other accessories.
Features of the Arc’teryx Bora AR 63 Hiking Backpack
- Roto Glide Hip Belts
- GridLock Shoulder Straps that keep the straps secured to your shoulders
- It is made from 420- and 630-Denier Nylon
- It weighs 5 lbs
- It has an internal frame
- Its dimensions are Source30 x 24 x 13six and more compartments at the exterior
- The water-resistant AC fabric keeps all your stuff protected from rain showers
- The creative hip belt design makes it easier to move around
- Aluminum stays and Tegris Fame Sheet help in an even distribution of weight
- Top Loading; you would have to load stuff from top to down
- It is expensive as compared to other features-loaded backpacks
Mystery Ranch Glacier Hiking Backpack
If you are looking for a backpack that would last for years and major outdoor experiences, you mustn’t look any further. The Mystery Ranch Glacier Hiking Backpack is tough, and it will survive rough use and daring adventures.
Because of its durable internal frame, the backpack remains in shape and doesn’t break easily. The best part is that you wouldn’t need to look for other small bags to carry the essentials. With its two vertical torpedo pockets, you can store a lot of stuff. The SpeedZip makes it convenient to quickly reach out for essentials and items buried deep in the bag. There are water bottle pockets and trekking pole loops for your ease too. These will come in handy when you are climbing a steep mountain.
Features of the Mystery Ranch Glacier Hiking Backpack
- It has a floating lid
- It weighs approximately 6 lbs
- Its dimensions are Source34.5 x 13.5 x 13.5 inches
- It has around four-plus major compartments
- You can take off the floating lid and transform the backpack into a daytime backpack
- It is made from durable Nylon that is tough and can withstand harsh use
- The top-lading feature allows you to pack your essentials easily
- With the massive 71-liter capacity, you can pack almost anything
- There are no hip belts installed
- It is heavier in comparison to other similar backpacks
Osprey Zena 85 Hiking Backpack
You shouldn’t have to worry about your hiking backpack; rather, let your backpack take care of your experience. When the experts were designing this highly tough and resilient Osprey Zena 85 Hiking Backpack, they aimed to make the expedition more enjoyable and comfortable for you.
With its Airspace back panel and BioFoam Torso harness, you will enjoy a comfortable trekking experience. There is more than enough storage in the backpack, and you can easily access your stuff from anywhere as there are dual side zips and base compartment zips installed. This gives you access to all your stuff no matter where in the backpack it is stuffed.
Features of the Osprey Zena 85 Hiking Backpack
- There is a BioForm CM hip belt integrated into the backpack
- There is a Stow-on-go which allows trekking poles to be attached to the backpack
- Powermesh pockets are located to store water bottles and other essentials
- This backpack is made from Source420-denier/210-denier durable nylon/500-denier nylon packcloth
- Its dimensions are Source33 x 17 x 15 inches
- It weighs 5 lbs
- It has an internal light wireframe
- There are nine plus main compartments
- There is an external hydration reservoir sleeve that can store up to 3 liters of water
- The installed FlapJacket flap helps in keeping the items secure when the lid is removed
- You can easily convert the top lid of the backpack into a daytime backpack; this is ideal for short trips that you may take moving to and from the campsite
- You must be careful with your use of the Osprey Zena 85 Hiking Backpack because this backpack may be tenacious but, if not properly adjusted, can cause blisters
Berghaus Ridgeway 65+10L Hiking Backpack
If you are an organized traveler who loves to keep all the items and essentials packed nicely and neatly, this backpack is ideal. This backpack offers plenty of storage for keeping your explorer equipment with you. You can store everything from your snacks, maps, and compass to your devices and clothes.
And on top of all this, you can easily expand your side pockets and get an additional ten liers of storage space to keep your clothes, a foldable tent, and other essentials. With the hip belt and height and chest harness, you can easily adjust the backpack according to your comfort.
Features of the Berghaus Ridgeway 65+10L Hiking Backpack
- A BioFit System
- An installed Rain Cover
- There is a hydration system so that you can store water in it
- It is made from high quality and sturdy Source600-denier Polyester
- This backpack has an internal frame
- Its dimensions are Source31 x 15 x 12.6 inches
- It weighs around 4 lbs
- The backpack is highly comfortable and easy to wear
- The rain cover will help you keep all of your items secure in case rain pours down
- The expandable side pockets make it insanely easy for the user to pack extra stuff for the expedition and keep all essentials secured
- It will easily fit your body, and if it doesn’t, you can adjust the straps and hip belts according to your need
- The Berghaus Ridgeway 65+10L Hiking Backpack doesn’t offer any new or exciting features
Deuter Aircontact Lite Hiking Backpack
You will love hiking with the lightweight Deuter Aircontact Lite Hiking Backpack. If you make sudden day hike plans or love to explore nature on weekends and are looking for a convenient solution to all your backpacking problems, then this is the ultimate answer.
With its 65 liters and an additional 10-liter capacity, you will be able to store all your essentials easily and would enjoy your hiking experience to the fullest. The back system of this backpack is advanced, and its innovative design relieves you of all the stress and backaches. The open cell-foam construction offers complete ventilation, so your back isn’t suffocated. The lifetime warranty guaranteed by the manufacturer speaks for the high-quality of the backpack itself.
Features of the Deuter Aircontact Lite Hiking Backpack
- An ergonomic comfort lock hip-belt
- Lower compression strap
- Extra Compartments
- 10-liter pack collar
- It is made from Nylon, a closed-cell foam
- It has an internal frame made from aluminum
- Its dimensions are 34 x 14 x 13 inches
- It weighs around 4lbs
- It has four major compartments that are mainly used for the storage of essentials and large items
- This backpack is highly sturdy and durable
- It offers maximum ventilation
- With the Aircontact Lite back system, you are the most mobile, and you wouldn’t even feel suffocated or exhausted with the load
- With the side compression straps, the load occupies less space and remains organized
- It is easy to fasten the hip-belts with the pull-forward construction; this feature comes in handy when there is an extra load in the backpack
- There is only one size available in this backpack, and if it doesn’t suit you, then you may be in trouble
Granite Gear Blaze 60L Hiking Backpack
Who wouldn’t love a backpack that is an epitome of a comfortable, sturdy, reliable, and tenacious backpack? Wouldn’t you love to enjoy your hike by enjoying the amazing features and convenience of your new backpack? That is right! Now you can get all the latest features in the Granite Gear Blaze 60L Hiking Backpack that will make your hiking experience a comfortable and memorable one.
With the Air Current frame, the backpack will align your torso size and load to create a balance. This way, it will become easier to carry the backpack. This backpack is perfect if you intend to take a lot of items with you. With its 50-liter storage, you can easily pack up all your items and take them with you.
Features of the Granite Gear Blaze 60L Hiking Backpack
- It is made from 100-denier ROBIC durable nylon with Barrier DWR
- 210-denier ROBIC UHMWPE triple ripstop nylon
- Its dimensions are 23.5 x 13 x 8 inches
- It weighs around 5 lbs
- It has an Adjustable Air Current Frame
- It has more than three external pockets and compartments
- It has a Re-Fir Hip Belt
- A Molded Foam Back Panel
- There are dual large belt-hip pockets that can easily store all your items that you will need on-spot.
- It has a 60-liters capacity, which is perfect for you if you love weekend hikes
- There are 3-tier side and front compression strap that keeps the balance and holds the load
- It doesn’t offer as good of back ventilation as other backpacks do
Our Final Thoughts
Choosing the right hiking backpack may seem like such an easy decision to make, but once you start reading about all the features, specifications, and the pros/cons analysis, you know that it is a major investment. You are investing in your many hiking expeditions to come. And when you are enjoying the raw beauty of nature or exploring the darkest nooks of a forest or climbing a steep top of the hill just to see the beautiful sunset, the last thing you would want is your backpack causing you troubles.
You wouldn’t want to get tired halfway because your backpack is heavy, or the straps broke off, or there is no ventilation in the back, or maybe you couldn’t fit all of your essentials in it. Going for a hike is not just a plan, but a whole experience. Don’t let it be ruined because you didn’t choose your hiking backpack wisely. Closely study all our top picks and choose the one that is best suited to your needs. Happy Hiking!
Four Great Washington Hikes To Consider